[pct-l] Ski pole self arrests

Howdy listers,
I practiced self arrest with ski poles and it works fine on moderate
slopes (say 40 degrees or so) with snow that's not too hard.  You have
to know the technique and anticipate your fall but it works pretty well
on any slope you have any business being on as a hiker.  You can't chop
steps, true, but it works better than elbows and toes.  The poles need
to be pretty sturdy - I've never used hiking poles so I can't speak to
their suitability.  My wonderfully light cross country ski poles would
snap in a heartbeat when attempting a self arrest.
             Jeff Jones

To:            "'Slyatpct@aol.com'" <Slyatpct@aol.com>, "Reynolds, WT" <reynolds@ilan.com>, Montedodge@aol.com, pct-l@edina.hack.net