[pct-l] Prescription Goggles, Fog, Ice and Winter Mountaineering.... Looking for experiences?

Hi,

This isn't really a PCT question, but I seem to recall that some folks on the list do winter stuff as well.

Does anyone have experience using ski goggles with prescription inserts for winter mountaineering?  Bolle and others makes some, and claim that they are more comfortable and much less likely to fog than wearing goggles over glasses.  I'm wondering if anyone on the list has experience with such things.

Background: in windy, sub-zero, conditions the name of the game seems to be to cover up all exposed skin.  This usually means a windproof facemask, balaclava, and goggles.  The problem is that if you wear glasses, you can kiss your vision goodbye under those conditions.  The glasses either fog up, frost, or develop a coating of ice, and the end result is being blind as a bat.

I've heard of various strategies, but the three that seem most promising are:

(1) wearing contact lenses... particularly extended wear lenses so they don't have to be changed under field conditions.  This supposedly works well, but I don't wear contacts.  By the way, the opthomologists and optomitrists I've talked to hate extended wear lenses in general (people get infections), but seem to think they are reasonable for occasional use.

(2) getting prescription inserts for goggles... I'm just never quite sure why the fogging behavior of these is any different than when wearing goggles over glasses.

(3) Laser surgery... but I don't want to do that either.

I've also heard that nothing really works... but I'd like to be proved wrong.

Thanks...

-- Jim

multipart/alternative
  text/html