RE: [pct-l] Bear Bells

I just love spam. Especially when someone wants me to spend a $100 on
useless bear bells.

Recent studies have shown the instead of scaring off bears, bear bells may
have the opposite effect. Bears are by nature curious animals. They are
drawn to sights and sounds that are natural to the environment. Bear bells
are certainly not a natural sound.

Brightly colored tents can have the same effect of increasing bear / human
contact.

There was a article in a recent Backpacker Magazine that discussed this
phenomenon. I don't have the time to look it up, but it should be on their
website.

Ron
Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
www.fallingwater.com/pct2000