[pct-l] recent backpacker issue

Jack Young wrote:
>>The rescent issue of backpacker magazine that has a big issue on food that
really amazed me. I now realize how far off the conventional backpacking
food map I really am.  I see Ray Jardine at one end and the conventional
backpacking food industry at the other. I personally prefer Ray's way but
food is like that isn't it. We all like it just a little different.

>>Oh well..whether you want to talk about conventional food or raw organics
this is a chance for me to plug my website.

One of these days someone's going to thru-hike a mega trail on an entirely
raw organic diet, and I have a feeling it's going to be done on the AT
rather than the PCT. The AT has the towns, the supermarkets, the variety,
and the frequency of resupply necessary for carrying heavy, water-rich,
living foods without spoilage or breaking one's back. In terms of health,
dehydrated raw produce apparently does not work out over the long haul, but
unaltered foods do, and so it's primarily a question of how well that food
would fuel such an untested, highly active arena as a thru-hike.

- blisterfree

To:            - -hikerrob <hikerrob@excite.com>, pct-l@backcountry.net