RE: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1288

> I'd been kind of hoping this thread would die of it's own accord. So why am
> I breathing new life into it? Well Roberts comments struck a nerve with me.

Ron,

I apologize if I struck a nerve.  That was never my intention; I was just
trying to find out why my cause seemingly bothered people.

> The question for me isn't whether someone is hiking for charity or fun. Even
> though some people seem to need to draw upon a higher moral cause to justify
> this particular expenditure of 5 months of their lives. I guess it's easier
> to justify the hike if you're doing it in the name of someone else.

I tried to make this evident in my last message, but I'm not hiking for
diabetes as justification.  I'm hiking because I love hiking, and have
always wanted to do this.  I'm hiking 'for diabetes' because I'm a
diabetic, and I want to give back to the community that has given so much
to me.

> I'd have to say what really ruffles my feathers is when people solicit large
> sums of money or equipment then dole out what's left after expenses to the
> charity. One hiker last summer spent months campaigning for equipment,
> include gear, computers, food, and money, promising that all funds over
> $5000 would be turned over to the charity. Then once on the trail he never
> made it more than a few hundred miles before quitting.

I hope I don't fall into that group.  I am hiking on as low of a budget as
possible; I already have MOST of the gear I need.  I will admit that I am
asking for some gear donations, but not much.  I can understand your
frustration and hope that I'm not adding to it.  :)

> Maybe it's just me and no one will agree, but I figure if you want to hike
> then you ought to have enough personal funds to do it. Then it is up to the
> charity to deal with all proceeds donated (ie. Money and equipment).

I *do* have enough personal funds to do it, but I have to admit that if I
did, I would be scraping by.  I am a third-year college student working at
REI and am on an extremely low budget; however, if I were to receive NO
donations, I would still be out there on the trail, somehow, god
willing.  All funds that are being donated to the hike for diabetes ARE
going directly to the American Diabetes Association.  If you give me a
check for a buck, that goes to Laura Thelander at the ADA.  It does not,
besides using me as a mailing address, go to me, and I will not (nor am I
interested in) cashing in on it.

I'm sorry, once again, if this struck a nerve, but I'm trying to make sure
that what I'm doing isn't verboten.  :)  I really appreciate everyone on
the list giving advice and sharing it freely (as I will try to do as I get
more knowledge), and like the sense of community on this list; my posting
of "my take" on hiking the PCT for a cause was only to let others know my
side of the story.

I was devastated when I first came down with diabetes, and the American
Diabetes Association (and its programs) helped me to deal with it.  I'm
just trying to give something back, but I'm getting the feeling that
many out there don't appreciate it.

See you on the trail (donations or not) :)
Rob