RE: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1288

Robert writes >>  Once I'm on the trail, I'm there
with what I managed to raise; frankly, I don't see the difference between
getting $100 from family to hike the PCT (as a friendly contribution) and
getting a backpack to hike it. <<

I'd been kind of hoping this thread would die of it's own accord. So why am
I breathing new life into it? Well Roberts comments struck a nerve with me.

I don't suppose most people have a problem with people raising money for one
charity or another on the trail. Last summer I hiked with several people out
to support one cause or other and have a good time to boot.

The question for me isn't whether someone is hiking for charity or fun. Even
though some people seem to need to draw upon a higher moral cause to justify
this particular expenditure of 5 months of their lives. I guess it's easier
to justify the hike if you're doing it in the name of someone else.

Long time members of this list can even recall the past inquiries of others
as to how they can find that perfect cause to support. I want to do the
hike, well now I need a valid reason.

This certainly isn't to say that Robert or any of the cause related PCT
hikers of 2001 fall into this category. Even if they did, I doubt it would
rock the world. After all most of us have some difficulty attempting to
rationalize what we do to friends and love ones from time to time.

I'd have to say what really ruffles my feathers is when people solicit large
sums of money or equipment then dole out what's left after expenses to the
charity. One hiker last summer spent months campaigning for equipment,
include gear, computers, food, and money, promising that all funds over
$5000 would be turned over to the charity. Then once on the trail he never
made it more than a few hundred miles before quitting.

Maybe it's just me and no one will agree, but I figure if you want to hike
then you ought to have enough personal funds to do it. Then it is up to the
charity to deal with all proceeds donated (ie. Money and equipment).

Who knows maybe I'm just jealous if I think someone's getting a free ride.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
PCT 2000 - http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000