[pct-l] Shin splints

Hello All -
I have been training for a summer hike on the JMT by hiking 2 to 3 times per
week on a local mountain range. I hike pretty steep hills for a couple of
hours with very little level hiking. I used to jog to stay in shape but I
haven't since I began hiking several months ago.  Lately I have wanted to
break up my hiking routine with some running and suddenly I can't seem to run
for more than a mile before my shins start burning like crazy. Are hiking and
running mutually exclusive? I have never bothered with stretching before
hiking or running and it seems difficult to work the muscles or ligaments in
the shins with stretching anyhow. I really don't care if I can't run, but I'm
afraid I will eventually develop shin problems hiking day after day if I
don't address it now. Does anyone have any experience with this or any
suggestions.

Mike