RE: [pct-l] AT verses PCT

I'm baack! Well actually I never left. Just buried these last few weeks in
work, taxes and the minutia of trail prep. As to work I don't care anymore,
the taxes are ready to go to the account (thanks Brice), and most of the
trail prep is done. Now it's just whiling way the last couple of weeks.

Monte, you remind me of the little boy running around with a long limb with
a hornets nest on the end. Searching for crowd of unsuspecting people to
heave it into.

The 10% success rate figure of the AT has been around for decades. Although
it's doubtful anyone knows the truth. As if it really mattered anyway. A
large number of folks never make it past Neil's Gap at 30 miles. Already
aware that the romance of the mind seldom matches the reality of the trail.

What is it for the PCT? Don't know, don't care. That is until I make it.
Then I can boast being a member of that select few.

Are trail comparisons fair? I guess that depends upon you're point of view.
If this is you're only bite at the big apple, it'd be nice knowing the
differences between the trails. Especially if you're a fanatic about high
places and fantastic views. You might get a little disappointed if you've
just spent your last dollar on your lifetime dream for a 5 month walk along
a green tunnel.

Others upon completing a trek along the AT with knees that have been
stressed far beyond their normal designed parameters, may decline another
long trip along the PCT for fear of permanent incapacitation or months of
rehab following the venture. Knowing that the miles of roots, rocks and
swing from tree to tree - like a bad imitation of Tarzan - on some bolder
descents is but a distant memory, is a pleasant thought for this one.

Anyway I'm sure of one thing. This topic will be beaten to death by this
seasons crop of hikers. Although I'd expect that by Kennedy Meadows, no one
will give a damn.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
PCT 2000 - http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000