Re: [pct-l] preparing for altitude

> I am planning to hike the JMT this summer and feel like I'm pretty well
> prepared except I don't know how I will react to high altitude hiking. I
live
> with the thick dirty air of Phoenix  (altitude 1300'), so I'm expecting
some
> problems. It really hit me last month on a hike of the grand canyon where
> was really huffing at 7000' . My question....... is there anything one can
do
> to prepare for 10,000' + altitude hiking? Are there any techniques out
there
> to speed acclimatization, and how long does it take? It seems to me I read
> something about a supplement of some kind that is supposed to help. No,
I'm
> not a purist

Hey Mike
I'm a long distance hiker as well as a climber and I've been up to 23,000 ft
quite a few times and the only way to prepare it is to try and be in the
very best of shape.  Also on your first night at altitude try and sleep
lower then you climbed that day.  There is the medication called Diamox, but
for such a  low altitude I doubt if it will make a difference.  The most
important thing you can do is to increase your fluid intake as you increase
your altitude.  I've had a lot bad headaches up at altitude and most of it
has to do with not keeping up with fluids.
Cheers and good luck
Dharmabum PCT2000