[pct-l] preparing for altitude

I am planning to hike the JMT this summer and feel like I'm pretty well
prepared except I don't know how I will react to high altitude hiking. I live
with the thick dirty air of Phoenix  (altitude 1300'), so I'm expecting some
problems. It really hit me last month on a hike of the grand canyon where I
was really huffing at 7000' . My question....... is there anything one can do
to prepare for 10,000' + altitude hiking? Are there any techniques out there
to speed acclimatization, and how long does it take? It seems to me I read
something about a supplement of some kind that is supposed to help. No, I'm
not a purist.

Mike