Re: [pct-l] Introduction and Comments

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:12:04 -0400 PDietrich@checkfree.com writes:
> Pads are a personal issue of comfort level.  I have extensive hiking
> experience w/o a pad and am quite used to it.  So, why take the
> extra weight?

True, but not entirely so - it's also a matter of physics.  Specifically,
reduction of the heat transfer rate between your body and the ground.  If
it's cold, the ground will just suck body heat out of you.  One of the
problems of a thruhike is not being able to carry enough food to balance
the energy expenditure.  Adding extra energy losses in the form of
conductive heat transfer while sleeping isn't something I'd do.
Conductive heat transfer is an unforgiving bitch.  For the short term it
might not make too much differnece if you've gotten used to sleeping
without a pad, especially in the desert.  But if you're a 'typical' male
you'll lose weight on the trail and then you may find that your
metabolism has changed in ways you hadn't anticipated.  Like getting cold
much faster

And if you're cold or uncomfortable you simply won't sleep as well.  A
thruhike is hard enough without adding the burden of not sleeping as well
as possible.

> However, Katrina may still decide to take one.  Each of us must
> determine what level of comfort we would like to have and pack
> accordingly.  (The mylar umbrella and pads were difficult decisions for
us)

I draw lines here too - if I wanted comfort I'd carry a Thermarest but I
don't, in part because it's too heavy and in part because the Ridgerest
does what I need.  What I want  is insulation vs comfort.

In any case, have a good hike - maybe we'll see you out there.

Walk softly,
Jim
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.