No Subject

> I think walnut oil might be a nice
> one to bring also (just for a different flavor).

You might want to reconsider this option. Though walnut oil may be a big
plus in term of adding flavor to a meal and it is also high in essential
fatty acids (EFAs). EFAs (the omega 3s and 6s) are a necessary part of
everyone's diet and go a long way to support proper health
(anti-inflammatory action), but they are highly unstable and are subject to
easy rancidity. This is a subject I have considered with no good
conclusions: how to increase the EFA's in a backpackers diet but yet avoid
the rancidity problem. The only option I have come up with is to either eat
a lot of fresh trout (good source of EFA's) or take capsules (bulky and
unwanted weight). If any one has an idea on this please let me know.

Rusty "MyTie" Johnston
pctresearch@pcthiker.com | Long-distance backpacking research
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the Pacific Crest Trail