Re: [pct-l] Resupply...Muir Trail Ranch

In a message dated 3/17/00 5:21:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
java2@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< I resupplied at MTR last summer and would never do it again. >>

My friend and I used Muir Trail Ranch as a resupply point when we hiked the
JMT (N-to-S) in '96. I agree with Tom; they were not very hiker-friendly, but
they did exactly what they committed to do:

They accepted a mailed package and had it waiting for us at MTR. It was very
expensive per box (bucket).

Actually, we sent two packages; left at least one-third of the food in the
hiker box. It wasn't the fault of MTR. We shipped more in than we were
willing to carry out. We hiked from MTR to Whitney Portal with those supplies
(11 days).

They sold Coleman fuel by the ounce (honor system).

They had no other services to offer hikers. We couldn't even buy a coke there.

They did agree to mail a postcard that I carried in.

I would not use MTR again. I've make it a point to make my way to Vermilion
Valley Resort and take advantage of Butch's hospitality. (Next time, Butch!)

Charlie