RE: [pct-l] Today's tip

It is not clear to me that saving fuel saves overall weight. If you can
simmer food for the 12-20 minutes necessary for most standard rice and pasta
your food choices increase dramatically. Whenever you can camp near water I
suspect you will save weight and eat better.

Tom,

I simply skip the simmer step. I take anything that needs a bit of extra
cooking, like dehydrated veggies, and drop them into the pot as the water
heats up.

Then once the waters heated, I pour it into a plastic ziploc bag containing
the rest of the meal, Liptons etc. This bag is placed into a cozy and set
aside to do its thing. 15 minutes later dinner is ready. Since I didn't put
anything sticky in the pot it's clean and doesn't require extra water for
washing.

The food in the cozy is still so hot after 15 minutes, sometimes I need to
cool it down more.

The cozy is made from 1.1 oz silicon coated nylon with a layer of insulation
sandwiched between the nylon and a layer of Mylar, from a space blanket. The
cozy weight's in at 2.5 oz and holds my cooking kit when not keeping my food
warm.

Clearly sometimes I've got too much time on my hands.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
PCT 2000 Journey - http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000