Re: [pct-l] Appropriate Gear for Conditions - Different Scenarios

Ron,

I like your scenario-strategy discussion.  I have advocated this line of
thinking in the past:  Imagine the worst and have a strategy for dealing with
it (without carrying the kitchen sink).

Your scenario of a snow storm near or above treeline in the Sierras is
exactly what I, and I'm sure many other PCT'ers have, experienced.

My strategy beforehand was to carry sufficient gear to enable me to survive
and progress in moderate snow, hike out in heavy snow.

My strategic gear included: a butane stove, a two man 4 lb. tent, ice axe,
instep crampons, rain parka, rain chaps, the first goretex gaiters, heavy
weight leather boots, down jacket, gloves, etc.  Overall, a pretty heavy
package by today's standards.

I was hiking in the Sth Sierra's in the early afternoon when the storm hit
and whiteout conditions slowed and then stopped my progress.  I found a
fairly well sheltered spot to erect my tent and sat out the 3 day onslaught
that deposited about 2 1/2 feet of snow.  In some places the wind had piled
it up to deeper.  Above treeline the wind had mostly stripped it shallower.

I determined that this was still in my definition of "intermediate snow"  and
slowly progressed at about 10 miles per day. I always was able to find a
fairly sheltered spot to erect my tent where I didn't have to stomp the snow
down much.  You can get these conditions in the San Gabriel, San Bernardino
and San Jacinto mountains in the spring also.

Today, I would still carry a stove, albeit a lighter one, I would use similar
full leather boots or goretex ones, I would still carry a two man tent but
could probably find a 3 lb. one now, a lighter weight ice axe and lighter
weight instep crampons, lighter parka and pants and lighter gaiters.  All
together a functionally similar package but probably weighing 5 to 10 lbs
lighter.

I wouldn't wait until June to enter the Sierras either.  I'd aim to enter in
mid May, depending on specific year snow pack levels and I would consider X
country skis.

For what it is worth (which admittedly is probably very little) this is my
opinion and strategy that I already have found to work well in serious
conditions.

Without snowshoes or X country skis you can travel in intermediate to deep
snow if you carry the proper gear to insulate and prevent saturation of your
legs and feet.  You must keep your head, plan ahead and not expect to make a
lot of miles per day.

To each their own!

Best regards,

Greg "Strider" Hummel