Re: [pct-l] Dried Meats and dehydrated Foods

>Freeze dried doesn't have any fat - and long distance hiking requires fat
>of one sort or another.  I've hiked with people who got their freeze
>dried at less than wholesale prices (one couple ran an outdoor shop in
>Tennessee).  Have yet to see any of them stick with it the whole trail
>(any long trail).

On the PCT '73, both of my through-companions used exclusively
Mountain House for dinner, the entire time. They had about 12
varieties, and were never bored with it. They DID add gobs of
margarine and hunks of cheese, but so did I, carrying no freeze-dried
food, except occasional freeze-dried meats, as a treat. All three of
us used roughly one stick of margarine a day.

Interestingly, all 3 of us ate almost exactly 4 pounds a day of food,
even though our menus differed greatly. They used the exact same
menus on a south-north CDT trip, the next year. They still eat it,
same variety, same quantity.

My advice--take what you ALREADY know you like.