[pct-l] [pct list] hello and two answers

Hi, all -- I'm Karen Berger, PCT class of 97. Just joined the list and have
been lurking for a week, but wanted to say hello and good luck to all this
year.

2 quick answers to questions I read in today's digest. Re: California
Guidebook -- you could try to get it drect from the publisher, Wilderness
Press 800-443 7227. Also Adventurous Traveler bookstore might have it -- you
can get to their website through wwww.GOPR.com.

Re: resupplying in the Sierra -- Dan and I have done the Sierra three times
(actually, he's done it four times). We've always carried straight through
from Kennedy Meadows to either Vermillion Valley or even Reds Meadow, and
took the extra day for side trips up Whitney. Very heavy the first four days
or so, but definitely doable --and those of you who have hiked with me know
that I'm not exactly Ms Macho. Anyway, I admit, Dan carried more than I did.
Still, he felt that it was ultimately less work to carry the extra weight for
a couple of days than to mess with the resupplies/hitches/exta mileage and
climbs on side-trails, etc. By the time you get to the "real" climbs (the
high passes), several days have passed and the packs are a little lighter.

Just a thought.

Karen Berger