[pct-l] the dreaded chafe...

* Message posted to PCT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Jonathan Ley <over_there@geocities.com>.
* Please use <mailto:over_there@geocities.com> to reply to the sender.

This one didn't seem make it on the list
either, so I'm posting it as a guest.  Sorry
if there are alternate versions / duplicates
of these couple posts. (I didn't enjoy re-typing
them!)

I've never seen this topic addressed on the list.
I think it might be of interest to the class of
'00 in case they hadn't thought of it.  I know
it has knocked some people off the trail in
the past (at least temporarily).

I haven't heard of women having this problem,
but few people like to discuss it...
The problem is skin rubbing on skin while you
walk.  Many people have some fat on their inner
thighs which means the skin between the legs
will rub. If you're walking all day, every day,
for weeks at a time, even a little bit of
rubbing can cause the skin to get irritated.
In some cases, the skin will dry-out and crack.
If those cracks get infected, you've got a
real problem.  In any case, even a little
chafe can be painful (so I'm told..)

Another problem for men is um... "yer boys"
rubbing.  You definately don't want any
chafe there!

I've heard of many remedies for this problem.
Some people have used powders like gold-bond.
Others have used plain old vasaline (which works
well, but is messy).  Different choices in
undergarment can help prevent any problem.  For
men, speedos will eliminate any problem with "yer
boys".  Spandex biker-type shorts can elimate the
problem on the inner thighs.

Keep in mind that after a month or so, you'll
probably lose that fat between the thighs, thus
eliminating the problem in most cases.  Plus, many
people can walk forever wearing "nothing but
nature" underneath and never develop a problem.

Any other comments, etc...?

-Jonathan