RE: [pct-l] Lone Pine resupply

Hi PCTers,

Resupplying at Lone Pine via Whitney Portal is worth considering, especially
for those who plan to take the side-hike up Mt. Whitney.  It's "only"
another 8 miles down to the portal.  With an empty pack and an ice axe for
glissading, this is not that hard.

What IS hard, is going back UP with a big load of food.  Instead, I
recommend coming back over Cottonwood Pass from Horseshoe Meadows.  You'll
redo some PCT miles getting back, but you'll avoid the 5,000+ foot climb
over Trail Crest on the side of Mt. Whitney.  (Don't confuse Trail Crest
with Trail Pass.)

Now that I'm started, I'll summarize some other Sierra resupply options.  My
assumptions are that "everyone" resupplies at both Kennedy Meadows (KM) and
Tuolumne Meadows (TM).  Since most people do the side-hike up Mt. Whitney,
I've included that in the totals.  If left out, it reduces the distance by
16 miles.

It's 256 tough miles from KM to TM.  Given the elevation, typical late June
snow cover, etc. this is 15 miles per day (MPD) territory for the typical
thru-hiker.  YMMV.  That's 17 days or so.

Those who avoid hitch-hiking try to go all the way to Vermilion Valley
Resort (VVR) from KM, 190 miles.  Muir Trail Ranch (MTR) is "only" 169
miles, but charges about $40 per box.  VVR is 12+ days at 15MPD, but most
take no more than 9 or 10 days food and hope to move faster.  It can be
done, but not by everyone.  Jardine's strategy of hitting the Sierra later
in the year makes this option better.  Lighter snow pack and less chance of
winter storms make "the big miles" a better bet.

North of VVR resupply is easier.  Red's Meadow (RM) is 29 miles past VVR,
and TM is 36 miles past RM.  These are very easy resupply points and should
not be skipped.  In fact, VVR might be skipped if you've bitten the bullet
earlier and resupplied somewhere like Bishop via Bishop Pass, or MTR because
it's not much farther to RM.

If you accept a hitch-hike or two you have more options.  Lone Pine via
Trail Pass, Lone Pine via Trail Crest, Lone Pine via a combination as
outlined above, Independence via Kearsarge Pass, and Bishop via Bishop Pass.
All have side hikes to the trailhead followed by hitch-hikes to town and
back.  These are all popular trail heads so hitching to town is fairly easy.
Getting back is harder, but can be done.  In very early season, or in heavy
snow years, Bishop, Trail Crest and perhaps Kearsarge passes may be
mountaineering challenges.  But so will Forester, Glenn, Pinchot, Mather,
Muir, Seldon, Silver, and Donahue so bring your ice axe!

If you wish to do only one hitch-hike in this section, Independence via
Kearsarge Pass is your best choice.  It's relatively near the trail head,
relatively easy to hitch, and nearest the middle of the section.  The
biggest down side I can see is you might have to make a tough decision about
the Whitney climb.  It's in the middle of your longest segment.  You may not
know if you have enough food to do the climb AND get to Kearsarge.

My recommendation is to take your time in the Sierra.  Enjoy the long side
trips through spectacular scenery, and don't worry about the hitch-hikes.
Resupply often and have a good time in the best part of California.  In '97
I resupplied at KM, Lone Pine, Bishop, RM and TM.

Brian

PS Other options, like having someone meet you in the back country or at a
trail head with your supplies, are worth considering if you have the means.