RE: [pct-l] Questions?

To take Knapsack Pass requires you to know what you are doing. Cross country
in the sierra saves almost noone time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Olson [mailto:jjolson@uwyo.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2000 6:47 PM
Cc: PCT mailing list
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Questions?

"Robinson, Brian A" wrote:

> 15 miles per day in the Sierra in mid to late June assuming a light
> snow-pack, good weather, and a similar effort level.  This doesn't include
> side-trips for resupply or to climb Mt. Whitney.  But hey, take your time
> and ENJOY the southern Sierra!  I resupplied at Kennedy Meadows, Lone Pine
> (out over Whitney, in at Cottonwood Pass), Bishop (Bishop Pass), Red's
> Meadow, Tuolumne Meadows, and Echo Lake.  The side trips for resupply were
> just as awesome as the PCT.  In my opinion, it was no waste of time.

Some friends hiked the JMT last year and on my suggestion, contacted
Parcher's
Camp on the other side of Bishop pass near south lake and contracted with
them
to hold a mailed box.  One year when I hiked the JMT I dropped off a box
with
one of the camp employees who kept it in the dorm until I straggled in to
pick
it up.  Parcher's camp will also pack in your box to the JMT, but for a
stiff
fee (don't remember what it is), and you have to be there when you say you
will.

Next time my friends said they would also head out over Knapsack Pass into
the
Palisades Basin rather than hiking down into LeConte Canyon and up from
there.
I believe that's part of Roper's Sierra High Route...

Jeffrey Olson
Laramie WY