RE: [pct-l] Ultra Tricks

My wife has difficulty carrying more than 30 pounds and carries a good deal
of "girl stuff". Further, my wife would be very unhappy if we sacrificed
comfort. The result is I leave the trailhead with 45-50 pounds on my back
[25-30 pounds base weight and  20 pounds of food/bear canister]. This is a
heavy load but not a burden. A wife who hikes is a blessing.

As you may have guessed, I have every manner of lightweight gear. The result
is still a heavy pack. It is not my desire to be an "heavyweight", it just
works out that way.