[pct-l] Wet Shoes

James R. Bruton asked

"Question - does walking through streams and slushy snow in running shoes
lead to bad problems with wet and cold feet? I'd like to save time on stream
fords by just plowing through, wearing
running shoes, instead of changing between boots and Tevas, which can take
about ten minutes per wet ford, for me. And I'd like to go lighter on
thefootwear in the Sierras, but I wonder about the wet feet syndrome."

I used to use light boots and then shift to sandals for stream crossings.
For the reasons you mention I know longer do. I wear light running shoes
exclusively. If I can easily avoid getting my feet wet, I will. In many
parts of the Sierra I just walk on through. It does make it quicker and
provides good protection for the feet. When my feet are in a stream they are
certainly cold but a few steps on the other side  they are fine.

'98 was a big snow year. I spent a couple of weeks in the Sierra in early
July. I traveled in snow every day but one. Several days were continuous
snow. The streams were quite high and several bridges were washed out. My
feet were often wet virtually all day. I didn't find it to be cold or
uncomfortable. The foot smell was really strong.

My socks are very light running socks. I have been training for the last
couple of months without socks and intend to try it on the trail this season
without them.

For the conditions I've encountered on the southern half of the PCT and in
the Sierra the approach you are considering worked fine.

Reader