Re: [pct-l] wet shoes

on 2/12/00 2:44 PM, James R. Bruton at jbruton@northlink.com wrote:

> Question - does walking through streams and slushy snow in running shoes
> lead to bad problems with wet and cold feet?

Hey Jim,

I wore running shoes and didn't experience problems. By the time I reached
the high sierra my feet were trail tough. My feet did get very cold during
the fords since the water is snow melt, but after 50 paces on the other side
they heated right back up. I had two pairs of socks. One I wore during the
day and another to sleep. At night I would remove the insole of the shoe to
aid in drying and hang the wet socks after ringing them out. By morning they
were almost dry, only to be soaked again at the next ford.

I experimented by hiking in flip flops but that didn't go too well. It
wasn't the cold or the snow, but rather the sun burn I developed on the top
of my feet!

I sometimes also hiked without socks or the insole so that the shoe would
dry out quicker. During lunch I'd remove the shoes and let my feet dry in
the sun which was a nice treat.

Troubadour
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the pacific crest trail