Re: [pct-l] altimeter watch- is it worth taking?

We used an Avocet in the Weminuche in 97 and in Glacier NP in 98.  Found
it to be very accurate as well as very useful for navigation.  But not
absolutely necessary.

We used a Suunto for the CDT last year.  It was a little less accurate
than the Avocet - but it was extremely valuable.  Granted - its got more
functions that your home computer and takes time to learn to use, but it
saved our collective tails a couple times.  We used it EVERY day and
needed it most days.  If you're gonna use one, go read Tom Reynolds post
again - cause that's how you'll end up using it.

Can't make a judgment about the PCT yet - but the Suunto will be going
with us in April.  Don't care about the suntan line - I can live with
that :-)

Walk softly - in the right direction,
Jim