RE: [pct-l] Really? ......

No what I actually said is ".....are the ONLY way for society as a corporate
body to set moral
concepts" It is society, as a corporate body, that sets the moral tone.
Governments only "reflect" this tone as you say. Governments reflect moral
concepts of the populace and implement laws to insure that the public is
protected from people who don't want to comply with what the public
determines what proper behavior is . . . . .at least that's how it is
supposed to work.

That this process is flawed is self-evident but there is no better way.

Reynolds, WT wrote:
>  "Federal, state, and local law
> making bodies" are the ONLY way for society as a corporate body to set
moral
> concepts?

I think I know what you're "trying" to say, but I'll answer what you
actually "said".

The government - our government - ANY government - has no business
"setting moral concepts".  Their job is to reflect the moral concepts of
those they govern. To the extent that a government imposes morality,
that government is itself illegitimate - as is the "morality" that it
seeks to impose.  Definition of morality is not a government
prerogative.

As far as the rest of the argument - it ain't worth the effort.  Not
with a head of state in this country who violates not only morality and
law, but also the precepts that he claims to believe.

Walk softly - the government is NOT your friend,
Jim