Re: [pct-l] The Ray Way as it is.

Hi - Just some thoughts - feel free to ignore...

It looks like we've hit the core of the "Ray Way" conflict.

>Let's let Ray speak for himself from the pages of his handbook:

Good idea...

>>"Obviating a piece of equipment reduces it's weight by a full 100%"

>(really?)

There is more than one way to interpret that statement. I think he's talking
about a redefining of what an individual considers a "need." Once you do
that, those items that once fell under the definition but now don't, are
reduced in their weight by 100%. It's up to each person to decide for
themselves what is worth redefining and I think he recognizes that.

>>"...the thru-hiker in running shoes covers the trail in seven weeks less
>>time."

>(really?)

His point is that there is a cumulative benefit of having less weight
attached to your feet every time you lift them up to walk, especially over
2,600+ miles. The "seven week" claim is pretty silly because such a benefit
would be so individual that to measure a distinct trend is next to
impossible.

>>"Candy is quite useless when it comes to supplying energy."

>(really?)

Depends on what kind of energy you're looking to have.

>>"Because thirst is mainly psychological, we distance hikers must never
>>rely on it to tell us when we need to drink water."

>(rely on what? Remember this sentence while crossing the Mojave.)

I think he's saying here that there is a psychological (and therefore
changeable) component to every physical form of "craving" or "desire" we
have. His use of the word "mainly" is what affects the interpretation of the
statement. This issue is analogous to the desire we have on hot days to
drink cold water instead of warm, even though the latter is more healthy.
Our minds can easily be conditioned to where our awareness is only partially
in tune with our true physical needs. That's all he's saying.

>>"If wind-driven rain prompts you to wear your parka while hiking, you will
>>hike with greater efficiency by wearing it backward." <<

>(really?)

Just one of many things that he puts out there to provoke people to think,
whether they agree or not in the end. Trying that technique for one rainy
stretch probably hasn't created much harm.

>>"If I need it [gear] and don't have it, then I don't need it."

>(really? remember this when you lose one of your shoes, or a tent pole.)

Here once again we're talking about the core idea that "need" is relative.
Yes, ANY need. To me the term is defined by what the objective is. And any
objective is malleable. If you lose one of your shoes, then, no matter how
you feel about it, you resort to other means (barefoot if necessary). If you
lose your tent pole, you find some sort of alternative. Your objective
changes. With both scenarios you are reassessing your idea of comfort. Like
before, this is simply a basic concept that is left up to each person to
decide how it can apply to them and how they view backpacking.

>>"God loves the mountains, trees, and even our stealth campsites."

>(really? But the NPS doesn't.)

The breaking of a rule or law does not automatically mean that one has done
something wrong, or has violated some universal absolute. Federal, state,
and local law making bodies don't have any more grasp of moral concepts than
anyone else does (yes - I know exactly how that statement will be responded
to). The point being that if you don't personally feel guilty about stealth
camping, then just do it and don't get caught.

>>"The people who survive will be the small, nomadic tribes, ekeing out
>>their existence upon a stormy, dusty earth." <<

>(uh, oh.)

Don't worry - it's not a sentence to panic about. He's referring, yet again,
to this idea of relative definitions. In this case, it is this: the less we
are dependent on what we have invented/created around us (technology,
convenience, etc), the more likely that we can survive if it is suddenly not
there. That's it. Very simple and non-threatening.

>--Yes, folks, it's all in there. The "Ray Way" is a package; you need to
>accept the whole thing in order to make it work. <

Not true at all. The "Ray Way" is to introduce a different perspective into
your own reality. Take whatever you can incorporate and leave what you
can't.

>If you don't believe thirst is mental, then you can't carry a little day
>pack (because you need to carry more than a liter of water), and that means
>you can't wear slippers (because a real pack
weighs more), which means you're unlikely to hike 40 mile days all the way
to Canada. <

All of those points are based on assumptions. Yes, we have to make some sort
of assumptions just to function in this world, but they also, often
severely, restrict our mindset. We create our own reality, and to a large
extent our own limitations. Outside of cultural paradigms, and our
individual selves, there's nothing that says one can't carry more than a
quart of water in a small pack, that you can't use lightweight footwear with
more water weight, and that you therefore can't do 40 miles a day. There's
also nothing that says you have to do 40 miles a day. Make assumptions, but
be very aware of why you make them.

Just some thoughts - feel free to ignore...

wc