RE: [pct-l] confused, Ray & Stove tests.

First for those that wrote me privately concerned that I'd be waiting my
time testing Esbit without a windscreen, I haven't gone off the deep end.
The primary stove I'm testing, mine, does have a built in windscreen. But
it's also good to have a baseline to know what a stove is capable without
external assistance.

As to the confusion over what is the best book on distance hiking, well
there isn't one (my opinion). Why, simply because everyone has and opinion.
And those who've completed a successful hike are often the most opinionated.
If their way worked successfully for them, it follows suit that it should
work for everyone.

I've not read Fletchers book since the first addition. It was the bible
then, but a lot's happened over the years. There are other books, Karen
Burgers, etc. but in general they tend to point out what the different
options are (internal vs external packs, heavy vs light boots, well you get
the picture). They do taint the discussion to their favorite items. Where
most fall short is in explaining their overall system and how it relates to
the different environments they encounter. Nor do they dwell much on how
different pieces of equipment work together to form a system.

From the books I've read, Ray's unique in that approach. You may not agree
with him on theory or practice, but he does bother to lay out what he does
and why. Most other authors assume you'll figure out the bigger picture for
yourself.

As to the proper set of gear to hike the PCT or any long trail, well again
there isn't any. Most people evolve their gear over lots of trial and
errors. Mistakes that we live through are always the best teachers anyway.

Best advice I can give is to listen to everyone, but chose your own path.
After all it's you that has to hike that damn trail not them.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
PCT 2000 Journey - http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000