Re: [pct-l] Ray J

This is my favorite quote from Jardine's PCT Hiker Handbook regarding the
use of poles:

"Wielding a pair of ski poles seems to be the current trendy hiking style.
"It's a total body workout," we are instructed. Veneering the affectation, I
suspect, is the intent to publish oneself as a proficient mountain skier in
training. Frankly, I don't think many distance hikers have time for this
sort of pretense."

This is hilarious! If Jardine's book was properly edited the total substance
of it would fill maybe 20-30 pages, not the almost 300 it is now. It's
loaded with fluff like above that doesn't help a prospective hiker get a
balanced opinion.

When I first tried reading the handbook, I would get so far as a paragraph
or two and the throw it across the room.

IMHO the iteneraries are the more informative parts of the book.

Troubadour
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the pacific crest trail