RE: [pct-l] "Rays Way"?

Hi all,

I too have found over the years that "my way" is getting closer to "Ray's
Way" than I ever thought it would.  Thru-hiking is as different from
backpacking as backpacking is from car camping.  Every ounce counts.  In
that respect, I agree with Ray's general philosophy, although I choose to
achieve the goals by somewhat different means.

Unfortunately, I also note a tendency among some thru-hikers to establish a
pecking order based upon pack weight and/or miles per day.  Unfortunately,
this encourages people to go with less gear than they are comfortable with,
or hike more hours per day than they would otherwise.  The result can be
reductions in safety and enjoyment.

Because of this, I always try to temper my ultra-light rhetoric with the
other side of the coin.  There's nothing wrong with a hiking style that goes
slowly, stopping to enjoy the views, smell the flowers, take better
pictures, do more side hikes, etc. etc. And if that person chooses to carry
a few more pounds to go along with that hiking style, are they any less of a
thru-hiker than the one who gets a thrill out of being first to Manning?

For the lurkers out there trying to glean useful information, I say listen
to the ultra-lighters.  Even the slow folks enjoy the trip more with a light
backpack.  Just don't obsess over it.  Ray advocates learning how to do with
less, but it's a learning process.  If you don't feel comfortable with your
gear, you're going to spend your summer worrying about conditions you might
not be able to handle.  Carry just enough to be reasonably secure and expect
to mail stuff home as the trail teaches you the same lessons it taught Ray.
Ray didn't have a 9 pound pack until his third PCT hike!

Brian
PCT '97