Re: [pct-l] Open fires

>From: Jeff Eckert <jeeter@cari.net>:

>From a hiker's perspective, the trail is, more often than not, cut through
>Chaparral, a word translatable as "brush fire fuel".

>Anyway, I think down here, the risk is too great for me to use an open
>fire.

Right. I think the occasional fire, in a safe area, built, tended, and
extinguished using all the right techniques, might be an idea for the
experienced individual to consider. But I don't presume to be such an
individual in this regard, and I don't think the list is a forum in which to
presume that of the average reader, either. In other words, this may not be
the best place for endorsing an open fire as an alternative to using a
stove. What we don't need are a bunch of Campo newbies (been there) deciding
to shed their packweight, at the cost of a blackened trail corridor.
Besides, looks like dropping the stove requires picking up a shovel. What
kind of a trade off is that?

- Blisterfree