Re: [pct-l] How many are into "Rays Way"?

Thru-hikers of the PCT follow Ray Jardine's mantra to the letter?

Paul,

There is not one person subscribed to this list who subscribes to the "Ray
Way" in that fashion.  The mere thought is FRIGHTENING!!!

>>I'm sorry but there is no way am I going to make a backpack on my own and
have it support the weight like my Dana can!

We construct our own Packs, Tarps and stoves because it is a more satisfying
experience to take part in every step of the process.  Long Distance hiking
is a whole new world, and the more involved you can become, the more
exciting and rewarding it can be.

I did not make any of my own gear for my hike, but when I do it again, you
can bet I will have homemade gear coming out of my ears.  Sure we do it to
save weight, but I do not believe that anybody does it solely to cut ounces
from your pack.  There is nothing cooler than taking a can of tuna fish out
of your pack, lighting a fire in it and cooking up dinner while all the
weekend warriors are staring at you with respect, but at the same time,
sheer fright.  Misguided apprehension for fear that you may in fact be the
Unabomber!!!!!

I do believe it is in your best interest to cut all unnecessary weight, but
in the end, it is your hike.  Enjoy it!!