[pct-l] Esbit stove for two

Charlie wrote:

"Of course, we all carry a fire permit, right? ... And even with a fire
permit, places where one can legally build a fire ("yellow-stake" sites,
existing fire rings in established campgrounds, etc.) are still few and far
between. Then, there's the problem of "wood gathering." Generally, that's
not
allowed either in southern CA.
Your best bet is to be self-sufficient and carry ALL the fuel tabs you might
need for your trip."
"Hike Responsibly,"
Charlie

There certainly are places where fires are not permitted in Southern
California. I specifically recall portions of the San Jacinto area, the San
Gabriels  and the Sierra above 10,000 and near certain lakes as having
restrictions. There are also areas that require fire permits but I have not
been troubled by rangers when using my wilderness permit showing that I'm
hiking the PCT. The guide book, signs, rangers, and local hikers can help
keep us posted.

Given all this, there are many many spots where a small fire is appropriate.
For me, finding a good place to cook is one of the more minor and more
pleasurable challenges of the trail. I work hard to be totally safe and
follow "leave no trace" procedures. Since I don't cook where I sleep, travel
fairly long daily distances, only cook once a day, am flexible about when to
cook during the day, and don't mind missing a day if necessary, using a
small cooking fire works quite well.

Reader