[pct-l] PUR filters

Strider says:

> the outdoor equipment manufacturers formulate their guarantees based
>upon marketing strategies, not expected performance and longevity and
>certainly not the kind of long term and consistent abuse that a long
>distance
>hiker is likely to subject the equipment to.  They take a risk that no one
>will really, or often enough to impact their profits, subject their
>equipment to the environment that might challenge the guarantee.

I view the PUR guarantee as one of the product's *features*. If they use
it as a marketing gimmick, then that's a mistake on their part, not mine.

>But, come now, aren't we really taking advantage of their boasting?  Do you
>really expect these things (filters, boots, packs, tents, etc.) to last
>under the kinds of abuse that a long distance hike puts on them?

Are they boasting, or are they *guaranteeing* their product?

And, yes, I do expect performance out of my gear. Sometimes quality comes
with a price: i.e. do I plan to switch out the cheapo K-Mart tent two or
three times during my hike, or do I pay $800 for a Stephenson? (actually,
I do neither)

And I prefer to call my the use of my equipment "use", not "abuse."
Thru-hikers just tend to compress a lifetime's use into a season or
three. I don't look upon it as planned obsolescence, just manufacturers
building to the larger audience.

--
Scott D. Thompson	|
sdt@netcom.com		|