Re: [pct-l] big pack orlittle pack

<< Every pound you add to your pack reduces
 the miles that you can walk in a day.  >>

Okay, let's put this one to rest.  Yes, I was big and strong when I hiked the
trail and yes, I carried a heavy pack.  However, would a lighter pack enable
me to walk more miles in a day?  Or would I still be able to move my legs the
same number of times in a given time period and just be more tired with more
pounds?  My best day was 43 miles with a damn heavy pack by these day's
standards.   I seriously doubt that I could have lifted my feet another 3 or
4 or 5 miles in the same time period if my pack was only 25 pounds.  I may
have been less tired and my legs may not have cramped all night, but then
that is the trade off for carrying a 4.5 lb tent, a 4.5 lb sleeping bag, a 5
lb. backpack and every precautionary item for any eventuality.

And Paul Hacker, much smaller and lighter and weaker with a lighter pack
walked the same distance in just slightly more time.

Hike your own hike.  My point is that just because your pack weighs only 25
lbs with food and water does not mean that you will or can average 25 to 35
miles per day.  And vice versa.  Just because your pack weighs 45 pounds
without food or water doesn't mean you can't or wont average these types of
miles.  It depends on your drive, your conditioning and your stupidity.

From one stupid guy,

Greg "Strider" Hummel