RE: [pct-l] big pack or little pack

>From: "Reynolds, WT" <reynolds@ilan.com>

>Ray's solution is to go ultra-light and forsake comfort [and some say
>safety] for distance. You enjoyment is reaching your goal -- Canada!

I have never forsaken less comfort, nor enjoyed each day of hiking more,
than when carrying an ultra light pack on the PCT last summer. Nor was I
alone. Ask anyone who has completed an extended hike in both styles (light
vs. heavy). It matters not the goal, the physical act of walking is simply
far easier with a lightweight load. Ah, but at what cost in camp? None, in
my experience. Loss of comfort? No, mental shift entirely. What about
feeling rushed in order to avoid having to carry much food? Hike at your own
pace, the lightweight load of gear will actually better accommodate an
additional food load. The alternative to all this? To pretend that a heavy
load is not heavy, energy-sapping, or uncomfortable to carry. Publish these
ideas on carrying heavy loads while buying your way into far-off trail towns
for continuous reprieves from the wilderness, and I will listen. That said,
we should all strive to hike our own hike, and all that good stuff.

- Blisterfree