[pct-l] Big Pack or Little Pack

Kelly Miller wrote:

"Over a long dry stretch of 7 days, you might at some point have 15 - 20 pounds
of water plus 15 - 20 pounds of food...in addition to that 10 pound pack.  So,
we have 40 pounds at least.  Or more.

So, back to the original question.  The only salvation for the 1 pound pack is
the lighter load  will hopefully allow you better mileage so not as much water
or food is not needed.  But here we are talking only 3 pounds.  Could it make
that big of a difference?"

I've used the the G1 and the G3 which are similar to the G4 with out all the refinements. They worked well for me in the desert areas as well as the Sierra. I was usually able to resupply every 4 to 6 days and seldom carried over 10 pounds of food. This of course  dropped off rather quickly. In the Sierra I seldom carried over a quart of water. In the desert I think I loaded up with 5 quarts once but most of the time 4. This dropped quickly as well. The point is, the periods with 30 pounds or more were very limited and I experienced no discomfort from using the light pack. Of course  it was great for the majority of the time during which the loads were below 20 pounds.

I think you will find that your new pack is even more valuable on long trips than on short ones.

Reader