[pct-l] quinoa

> Back to the point. One grain that works well on the trail, even for the
> ultra-lites, is Quinoa. A South American grain, it offers a good break from
> the typical rice and pasta, has the highest and most complete amino acid
> profile of the grains, and cooks fairly quickly, under 15 minutes. It's
> found in most health food stores. Be sure to rinse the grain well as it has
> natural soponins on it.

Do you rinse the quinoa at camp?  That doesn't sound particularly
practical to me.  Most of the time I'm trying to conserve water whether
I've had to carry it some distance or filter it.  Also 15 minutes doesn't
strike me a quick in trail cooking terms.  Those extra minutes of cooking
time translates into more weight of fuel (unless you are using a zip
stove).  I have cooked quinoa, but not on the trail.

Paul