Re: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1014

You know, I was really feeling good there for a while. I really was. Our
bickering over ultralight hiking resolved itself in a peaceful, positive way
and it seemed that only smooth sailing lay ahead. Then, Will comes in and
busts up the joint! ;^)

> I find it odd that a long-distance PCT hike is defined as a "success" if a
> hiker starts at the arbitrary border line at Mexico and ends at
> an equally arbitrary line at Canada, and is a "failure" if for some reason,
> the hiker in question does not hike this enormous distance.

Has anyone on this list labeled anyone who didn't finish an attempted thru
hike as a failure? IMHO success or failure is determined by the individual.

> I agree. A thru-hike is totally mental. You have to close your mind to a
> universe of possibilities and slog up this line through the woods.
> Remember: no one hands you a little gold medal when you reach Manning
> (although finishing the whole trail gives you a great deal of bragging
> rights in some circles.)

This is an excessively negative and laughable way to view thru hiking the
PCT. Yes, one must be focused to make it the whole way, but that doesn't
mean you give up the universe! As you well know each day on the trail brings
new things. It questions resolve and determination to continue. If one
chooses to continue then natural wonders, beauty and friendships are the
rewards. One's efforts do not go without recompense.

Can you find these things elsewehere? Sure. And, like Will, some decide they
wish to explore other things along the way.

> A few things I found out last year:
> 1. Many, many hikers who claim to have hiked the whole trail did not indeed
> hike the whole trail. Rumor has it this includes a famous guidebook
> writer.

Why waste your energy pointing fingers? A wise, old, wrinkled buddhist monk
passed a bit of wisdom on to me. He said, "hike your own hike".

> 2. Many hikers who finish the whole trail are miserable through Oregon and
> Washington, especially Oregon.

I find this generalization false. You're talking about 1,000 miles. It is
hard to believe that someone would be miserable and still continue for that
distance. However there are no doubt hearty individuals who could do so. My
experience through those sections was wonderful. While not without
challenge, especially after the distance traveled to get there, OR and WA
offer really astounding beauty. Crater Lake, Three Sisters, Mt. Jefferson,
Mt. Hood, Adams, Rainier, Glacier Peak. Woo hoo! Truly wonderful!

> 3. The PCT trail doesn't even traverse much, or most, of the crest itself. It
> bypasses the San Bernadino's, for example. It's a totally
> arbitrary measurement whereby some people decide who's a tough-guy hiker.

What does this statement mean? Yes, the trail is called the Pacific Crest
Trail. If you think that name gives you a guarantee to the route you will be
quickly informed otherwise. Perhaps you should ask the trail designers which
one of them was the "tough guy" and how they "arbitrarily" made the route. I
found the PCT to be well designed for the most part. In comparison to the AT
it is down right gentle in some places.

Troubadour
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the pacific crest trail