Re: [pct-l] Re: Mexico to Mt.Whitney

>Stephen Stoddard asks:

>Mexico to Mt. Whitney by May 1st, is this possible?
>
>Greg "Strider" Hummel replies:

>In an exceptionally dry year, and this year may be one, it could be
>possible
>but you had better be prepared for snow.

The High Sierra in early May, as part of a PCT "hike"? Even in a dry year,
with little snowfall, there would almost undoubtedly be plenty of snow
around up there, then. And what about those surprise storms that can happen
in any season, and late, whether it's been dry or not? I would not pick a
season featuring unusual weather to try my luck hoping for good weather.
Witness the 3-day snow and wind storm in early June '99 that affected the
snow-free PCT in So Cal after weeks of fine weather.

Long distance hiking and winter mountaineering are mutually exclusive
activities. :)

- Blisterfree