[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1013

You can never have too much knowledge. I'd spend this year as your
learning year: reading and then putting the pack on and try what you've
read about the gear, trail condition, etc.   Definitely head to REI and
talk with the sales people and get there hand outs called PIGs (Product
Information Guide), they have them for every item the sale. Both the
staff and the PIGs are the best way of learning. Go in planning on NOT
buying. Go into as many out door stores as you can for many 3 months and
talk to them and listen to them. Check out all gear.  I am not a thru
hiker (a section hiker) but I will give you all my millions (yeah, sure)
that if you went this year you'd never last long at all and could get
injured.  Sincerely,  JoAnn