RE: Re: [pct-l] Ultralight, a matter of technique?

When one says "It's a head game" referring to finishing the PCT, one can
mean many things.

Are we talking about resolve -- the determination to reach a goal once set?
If we mean this, then I don't think much of this attribute. I believe that
this trait will have a negative effect on the person's life.

OTOH, do we mean the FLEXIBILITY to find happiness and satisfaction in
circumstances that others would only find pain. In this case the ability
learned on the trail will have a positive effect on the person's life.

I understand that the above is a value judgment -- one that everyone may not
agree with -- but my experience in life is that flexibility is better than
determination.

If one accepts the above, then the conclusion is that a thruhiker who leaves
the trail because it is not fun anymore is making the right decision whereas
a thruhiker who continues on to the end so that he/she can say that they
"did it" when it has ceased to be enjoyable is making the wrong decision
[unless the satisfaction of saying you "did it" is worth the pain]. The
result is that the goal of "finishing" as opposed to "enjoying" will lead a
thruhiker to an incorrect decision.