Re: [pct-l] Shoes

Title: Re: [pct-l] Shoes
On my thru-hike I went without socks for a while. In the high sierra one must make many fords. I decided to go sans socks for most of that area to aid in faster drying shoes. And it also helped in snow too. Without socks my shoes held much less water from snow melt.

I had my socks in my pack however, and never went without them entirely. I did experience some sore spots on my feet when my shoes began to break down and there were some rough edges inside.

I would say, that if you go without socks, gaiters are a nice addition. I did notice that without socks scree and debris that gets into your shoes is much more irritating.

Rather than go completely without socks another option may be to just carry one pair. That won't be much extra weight and will give you more options.

Troubadour
www.pcthiker.com