[pct-l] Star Trekking poles

It looks like many people love those poles. And I've seen many success
stories with them. However, some people won't need them. I have good knees
and ok balance, so I find them a bit of a bother.

However, I do find one half-sized pole quite handy. It's about the length
of an ice axe (an old pole that broke!) I use this little pole for
slippery downhills as a third point, or for stream crossings.  Even
snowshoeing I just use the half-pole, which I lean on in hilly terrain
only. Boy does it come in handy.