Re: [pct-l] Trekking Poles vs. Pack Weight

In a message dated 1/10/00 10:11:20 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
jjolson@uwyo.edu writes:

<< Oh boy!  I can't wait to get out and leap off Medicine Bow Peak in the
Snowys here
 outside of Laramie to test this new technique!!!

 Yours, in absurdity... >>

Jeeze Jeff,

Youre talking about a successful thru-hiker here, can you claim the same?
And even if you could, what works for some may not work for you.

I used an ice ax for all of about five minutes, when I realized I was more
comfortable using my Lekis.  The rest of the time I carried the ice ax on my
pack.  I also thought about using the poles for self arrest in the case I
slipped and took off the basket on the uphill side and balanced myself using
the basket on the downhill side, where I could jam it into the snow if need
be.

Sly