Re: [pct-l] Trekking Poles vs. Pack Weight

When I say self arrest with poles, I don't mean it is a better option to
having an ice ax. However, if you don't have an ax and find yourself falling
down a snow covered mountain, hiking poles can be used.

One technique is to grab both poles about 3-5 inched from the tips and drive
them into the snow. Another technique is to hold the poles diagonally across
one's chest like done with an ice ax and to lever the handles into the snow.

Let me repeat the disclaimer: This in no way means that one can use poles to
replace and ice ax.

Troubadour
--------------
www.pcthiker.com

on 1/10/00 6:07 PM, Bighummel@aol.com at Bighummel@aol.com wrote:

> Troubadour wrote that he used Leki poles to self arrest once.  Exactly how do
> you self arrest with a trekking pole?   I'm not familiar with that one.
>
> Greg "Strider" Hummel
> * From the PCT-L |  Need help? http://www.backcountry.net/faq.html  *

Oh boy!  I can't wait to get out and leap off Medicine Bow Peak in the Snowys here
outside of Laramie to test this new technique!!!

Yours, in absurdity...

Jeffrey Olson
Laramie, WY, where it threatens to snow but seldom does...