[pct-l]poles

At 51 years, and LARGE, and only doing dayhikes with a very light little
pack or none, I consider poles preventive medicine.  I'm afraid of blowing
my knees out before I can get into any kind of shape after listening to
hikers on this list talk about their knees.  I don't do any hiking without
my poles.

Also, for women, who typically have more problems with swelling hands, the
poles prevent this for me and many other women (by keeping the hands up).

Also, my understanding of the correct position is that the hands are NOT
level or higher than level, which does away with the rain problem.  Just
having them up a little still helps with the swelling.

Mary B