[pct-l] Trekking Poles vs. Pack Weight

I'm curious about the relationship between poles and pack weight. So the
question is how many of you use poles and do you consider yourself a
lightweight (base weight under 15lbs) or standard backpacker.

On my last few lightweight hikes, I've avoided carrying poles. I've not felt
the need for them. I've only used dual poles on a couple trips. The longest
of which was 45 miles. Still not long enough to get totally comfortable
using them.

Next summer, I'm debating carrying a single pole (partly because it also
acts as a monopod for the camera) or not. I've got poles waiting if need be.
If I use them depends upon how my knees hold up.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
PCT 2000 Journey - http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000