[pct-l] Trekking Poles

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, pct-l-digest wrote:
> From: Owen Kittredge <owenk@quiknet.com>

> Speaking of trekking pole does anyone have any information on how well the
> adjustable types holdup?  Do they break? Do they collapse at the wrong time?
> etc.

My first pair were an early REI housebrand.  I had enough problems with
the adjustment that I resorted to tightening them as much as I could at
home, and leaving them at that length.  With the better quality Lekis I've
not had any problems with the length adjustment.  I have cleaned the
locking bushings once or twice, and I have a spare set in my repair box
(they are plastic and subject to wear).

I have heard that the twist lock style (such as on Leki) can loosen with
certain motions, especially in soft stuff like snow.  There are a couple
of other locking designs that are supposed to resist this, but I can't
give you brand names.

A useful URL is
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm

Paul