[pct-l] User Fee's Mount St Helen's

I have lived here in Washington State about 20 years, and have gone up Mt St
Helen's 3 or 4 times.

The way I recall it:
     First there was a permit- free if I remember
     Then there was a single fee for a permit
     Then there was a per person fee for the permit.

     The permit basically cuts in at the tree line, thus you
     can circle the mountain without a fee.

There is the standard :-) entrance fee to the monument, or Golden Eagle

Here are a couple of Url's about the Volcanic climbing fee:
http://www.halcyon.com/rdpayne/vr/vr5.htm
http://www.halcyon.com/rdpayne/mrnp-hiking.html

As I recall the $15 climbing fee also applies to Mt. Adams

Paying the different fee's are similar to the blind men observing the
elephant. different times and different areas require different fee's and
the user is always responsible.

I don't know about this year, but the first year the $15 fees were enacted
the 100 permits were never used up. The law of supply and demand seems to
work.

MIKE AKEN

I hike alone sometimes. Its during these solo hikes that the number of
arrogant  and ignorant people I have  to deal      with is reduced to one.

                                                       Jack Hampson

Visit Excite Shopping at http://shopping.excite.com
 The fastest way to find your Holiday gift this season