[pct-l] Shepherd Pass alternate

gary at hbfun.org gary at hbfun.org
Wed Jul 20 10:05:03 CDT 2022

IMHO, it would be best to just bite the bullet and go over Shepherd.
Unless you want to really get a taste of the Sierra.

Starting at Crescent Meadow and going through Bear Paw Meadow then over
to the Big Arroyo and down to the Kern River would be long, but well
worth it.

Sawmill Pass is beautiful, but starts very low, IIRC it’s 8000’ of gain
to the pass. Nice camps along the way so it could be done in two days.
Same with Taboose, there’s a camp with water on the way up.

Gary